Boko Haram sets Borno village ablaze
Boko Haram insurgents have razed dozens of residential houses in Mussa village of Askira-Uba local government area in Southern Borno.
A man was suspected to have been trapped in the attack which occurred on Saturday, February 11, Vanguard reports.
Confirming the incident in Maiduguri, a military source said: “The fleeing insurgents are venting their anger on communities bordering the forest, as they have no other place to go, but to attack some of the villages, while fleeing their hideouts.”
This was not the first time Mussa village is witnessing Boko Haram attacks, as even the palace of the community head was burnt down by insurgents in recent past.
Mussa, which is a farming community on fringe of Sambisa Forest, had been severally attacked by the fleeing insurgents.
The attack is coming on the heels of an ambush on a convoy of new Nigerian Army recruits in Maiduguri, Borno state capital, which killed soldiers.
Premium Times reports that not fewer than 20 other recruits were injured in the gun battle which occurred along the Maiduguri-Dikwa road in the North-Eastern State. Dikwa is 70 kilometres east of Maiduguri.
The report quotes Army sources as saying that three other soldiers, including a female, were declared missing after the incident.
Quoting eyewitnesses, Premium Times reports that the battle between the insurgents and the soldiers began at about 7.30pm on Thursday after a detachment of troops numbering about 250 soldiers and one officer ran into a Boko Haram ambush as they traveled through the area in Army trucks and buses owned by the Borno state government.
The terrorists were said to have suddenly emerged in large numbers from the bushes and opened fire on the soldiers who were mostly young soldiers fresh from training